Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Vacation Day 2 - In-N-Out

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures of this one. On Tuesday we went with the cheapest version of waterpark (which is what Jason would really like to do this week) and we borrowed our neighbor's little kiddie pool and splashed around for awhile. Pretty lame compared to waterslides and lazy rivers, but it was still entertaining.
So for dinner, we decided to try something we had never attempted at home before. We recreated In-n-out's Animal Style burger and fries. Before I tell you what was involved, I have to tell you why this meal is particuarly special to us. Both Jason and I served our missions in Southern California where we were both introduced to the beauty that is In-n-out. I know of a few missionaries in my mission who did not really care for the food, but they were definitely the exception. For some reason, California missionaries and In-n-out are like cops and donut shops. At least that's how it seems in my mind.
Anyway, they are good, basic burgers and fries just made really well (you know, unhealthily). And 'Animal Style' is just one step up. I guess technically it's on the secret menu, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows about it. Since I didn't take pictures, here are some that I found. And this is exactly what ours looked like (besides the packaging).
For the burger, I found out that you actually grill it with mustard on it and then it's topped with the normal lettuce, tomato, cheese, pickle, but also carmelized onion, and a secret sauce that is similar to thousand island. That's probably the biggest difference with our burgers - the sauce was not quite the same. But hey, it was close enough for Iowa. And they were darn tasty. Even Addie ate half of hers (that's good for her).
For the fries you top with cheese, carmelized onions, and the same special sauce. I know it sounds really weird. But they're good. Addictive good. Eat some in the parking lot on the way home so the other missionaries in the apartment didn't know you had some kind of good. Oh, yeah.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Those look way yummy! Good job! Ya'll are way creative!

Emily said...

That does sound good. Do I have to ask for the secret menu?

karlena B said...

So creative!!! Isn't food wonderful!